Saturday, November 30, 2013

Mad Tea Party Chalkboard by Tonya Gibbs

Hi everyone, I hope you are having a fantastic weekend.   Today I would like to share with you a Mirror that I altered with Marion's super fab Mad Tea Party Line. 
 
 
 
I used these patterns from the paper collection
 

 
 
 
 
 
I bought an unfinished wooden mirror and frame from a craft supply story.   I removed the mirror and stained the sides and back with Tattered Angels' Cork Glimmer Mist.  This frame is 11.25 x 9.25 inches with a 5x7 opening.
 
 
 
 
After the Glimmer Mist has dried, I covered the entire frame with Claudine Hellmuth Studio Matte Medium.  I applied several coats to the top surface to insure my paper overlay would adhered to the wood.  The Matte Medium seals the wood and the Tattered Angels spray.
 
 
 
I then added my paper to the top of the frame.  To insure that I didn't get the hole cut incorrectly, I decided to affix the entire paper to the frame.  I used a brayer to make sure all the air bubbles were removed from the paper. I allowed the paper to completely dry. 
 
 
Then I flipped the frame over and trimmed out the hole with an x-acto knife.   I then applied another coat of Matte Medium over the paper.  Set this aside and allow it to dry.
 
 
 
Then I painted several coats of this Glass Chalkboard Paint by DecoArt on the Mirror. Make sure you don't leave streak marks in the paint, and allow it to dry completely between each coat. If you plan to paint a surface that is going to be used in a dishwasher, make sure you follow the directions on the bottle and bake the item to cure the paint. Since I'm not washing this project, I let it completely dry for 24 hours before I wrote on the chalkboard.  
 
 

 
Once the board was completely dry, I added it back to the frame.  I rubbed chalk over the board and cleaned it off with a dry paper towel.  This seasons the board so that the chalk runs smoothly over the surface.  Then I decorated the left and bottom to make the frame more interesting.  
 
 
 
I made the flower that is used for the focal piece.
 
Here is a Youtube video showing you how I made these flowers.
 

 
This frame will make a nice Christmas gift for one of my friends.  I love how simple it was to create. It could be hung on the wall, or propped on an end table with a decorative easel. 
 
Thanks for stopping in today,
 
Tonya Gibbs

4 comments: