Saturday, September 7, 2013

Sharing my Canvas Today


Nirvana Collection Canvas

Hello, It's Colette and I am sharing a tutorial today on a Wall Canvas I made with the Nirvana Collection!  Everything about this collection is PERFECT for the decor in my home, so I was very excited to create this piece..
I had an Instagram Photo that I had taken of my Antique typewriter.  I had added Font to it using fonts and designs from Rhonna Farrer.  I then had it printed on a textured Cardstock which makes it look old and scratchy!  I wanted this picture to be a part of the canvas and it worked perfectly with the collection Marion designed!
Here's my process:
Start with a 8X8 canvas.  I painted it with a combo of Ivory and Khaki paint that had been watered down..  Just wanted a light background texture.
I used an old McCalls pattern and added it on top of the painted canvas with Mod Podge.  I crumpled it and coverd abot 3/4 of the canvas.  Then I added some layers of white and ivory paint.



Once that dried, I added some light stripes of Watercolor. I love blending these colors and you can see I used some green, blues and yellows.  This paint can be as dark or as light as you like! Set this aside to dry
My next watercolor went on some manilla tags . These I made in 3 different colors.  They are dark on the edges fading to light.



The papers from the collection I used were primarily these two! 


Cut out tags and the tickets and ruler.  


To assemble, I started by adhering the Tags to the right hand side sticking off the edge a bit.  You can also see I layered the tags, tickets and elements on top of them.  I did use foam squares to build these up for dimension and layers.  I also added some watery paints to create texture.  All the tickets and papers are Mod Podged after the paint dried. 
Another element I  added was some metal frames and shapes.  

In order to attach the photo, I used a circular Pin by Tim Holtz.  I love how it sticks thru one of the tags.  The photo is held in place also by foam squares. I used the bakers twine to wind around the pin and make some more dimension.
I have a great Stash of trinkets, keys and letters that I added too! 

Here is the placement of some more tags and LOVE that ruler!!!

I am enjoying this in my home, and I hope this little tutorial will inspire you to go make some ART!  Thanks for stopping by!!
Blessings!

3 comments:

  1. Wow Colette, I so love your creative canvas...love the olde typewriter awesome...I love how you used the Nirvana collection in your art piece. beautiful

    hugs, Peggy Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is stunning! I love the different colored tags, just yummy!

    ReplyDelete